Agenda 4: Strengthening the Internal Economy through the Mechanisms of 18 Provincial Clusters and 76 Provinces
Thailand 4.0 will strengthen the internal economy by ensuring that the benefits of economic growth spreads to all region, promoting regional employment and regional investment, and ensuring equal distribution of economic benefits in order to promote competition and reduce social inequality;
- 1. Strengthening the Economic Structure and Internal Market System by (1) creating database on trade and connectivity at both the physical and digital dimensions that can accommodate production and trade, so that farmers, community enterprises and SMEs can have better access to reap benefits at the local, provincial and national level and, (2) setting up “Modern trade rules under Thailand 4.0” that are appropriate and fair regulatory regime in order to assist SMEs, as well as social enterprises, to gain access to free market.
2. Strategies and Guidelines for 18 Provincial Clusters The Government has set a strategic economic position of the 18 provincial clusters as follows:
- Upper Northern Region 1: Creative Cluster and Agricultural and Food Innopolis
- Upper Northern Region 2: Gateway to GMS and ASEAN+3 and Green Tourism Destination
- Lower Northern Region 1: Indo-China Trade and Service Center and Gateway to Myanmar
- Lower Northern Region 2: Rice Business Center and Heritage Tourism Destination
- Upper Northeastern Region 1: GMS Trading Center and Gateway to Eastern ASEAN & China
- Upper Northeastern Region 2: Agricultural and Livestock Center and Northeastern Green Tourism Destination
- Middle Northeastern Region: Northeastern Agricultural Food Innopolis and Logistics Hub
- Lower Northeastern Region 1: Khmer Civilization and Sport Creative Cluster and Agricultural Trading Center
- Lower Northeastern Region 2: World Jasmine Rice Production Center and Gateway to Eastern ASEAN
- Upper Central Region 1: Cultural Heritage Tourism Hub and Food Innopolis
- Upper Central Region 2: Organic Food Production Base
- Middle Central Region: Green Industry Hub, Green Tourism, and Gateway to ASEAN & Global
- Lower Central Region 1: Western Creative Tourism and Trade Destination
- Lower Central Region 2: Seafood and Agricultural Trade Center and Global Tourism Destination
- Eastern Region: Organic Fruits & Clean Industry, and Medical Tourism Destination
- Southern Region (Gulf of Thailand): Southern Agricultural Trading Center (Rubber, Oil Palm, Fruits)
- Southern Region (Andaman Coast): World Class Tourism, and Creative Cluster – City of Gastronomy
- Southern Border Region: Agricultural and Food Innopolis (Rubber, Fishery, Halal Food)
3. Establishment of an Innovation Hub at a regional Level by expanding opportunity and prosperity to the regional level through Innovation Hubs as follows:
⇒Innovation Hub for Agriculture and Food: aims at the development of “Advanced Bio-Based Economy”, shifting from basic food industry basic petrochemical industry and bio-fuels to neutraceuticals industry, bio-based medicine, specialty chemicals and bio-based plastics with high value in the future.
⇒Innovation Hub for Aging Society: aim to turn crisis to opportunity by developing an “Elderly Industry” using medical technology as the foundation, and will be supplemented by robotic, digital and other technologies.
⇒Development of a Smart City: aim to develop five smart cities within ten years using digital technology as the foundation and will be supplemented by other technologies.
⇒Innovation Hub for Smart Energy: will focus on energy technology as the foundation, and will be supplemented by other technologies such as digital and biotechnology.
⇒Creative Hub for Creative Economy: will focus on creating value added from a combination of arts, culture, food, design and creativity. The service industry will serve as the foundation, to be supplemented by other technologies such as digital, in order to utilize biodiversity and culture diversity of each location.
4. “Province 4.0” Strategic Plan The “Province 4.0” strategic plan is a social contract for the civil state at the local level (between the governor, commercial officers, industrial officers, chambers of commerce, federations of industry, Young FTI, local BizClub, community leaders, etc). This plan will set out the short term, medium term and long term strategic plans that connect with the 20 years national strategy. Target groups under this plan are 1) Transformation from enterprise 1.0 – 2.0 to enterprise 3.0 by improvement in productivity and standards, access to funding sources, creation of business networks, 2) Transformation from enterprise 3.0 to enterprise 4.0 by development of innovation and business models, conducting businesses on digital platforms, creation of commercial networks, and 3) Promotion of Local Startups within provinces through financial measures and risk management, building potential and capacity and the development of regional and global connectivity.