Bringing Pets Into Thailand
Requirements for Importation of Dogs/Cats into Thailand
> For those who travel with pets and seek to pass them through Thailand, everything can be done at the port of entry by having these following required documents ready before arrival:
1) Form Rore. 1/1 (ร. 1/1) from Thai Department of Livestock Development
To download an application form for Import/Export Animals/Animal Remains through Thailand, please click.
2) Health Certificate:
- – An animal health certificate shall be issued by a USDA accredited veterinarian.
- – A health certificate must be endorsed by USDA/APHIS Veterinary Services office prior to the pet’s departure.
- – To locate a USDA/APHIS Veterinary Services office in your area, please click.
- – Since an endorsed health certificate will be valid for 10 days from the date signed/issued by the USDA/APHIS Veterinary Services office, the pet’s owner shall travel with pets and arrive at the Suvarnnabhumi International Airport within 10 days after endorsement.
3) Proof of Vaccination:
Pets must be vaccinated at least 21 days prior to their departure against these following viruses:
- Dog (5 Required Vaccines) – Rabies, Leptospirosis, Distemper, Hepatitis, and Parvovirus
*** A dog is subjected to tests for Leptospirosis with negative results during 30 days prior to departure***
- Cat (2 Required Vaccines) – Rabies, Feline Panleukopenia Virus (FPV)
4) A Copy of the Pet Owner’s Passport
> For those who wish to import pets into Thailand, but not travelling with them, will need to obtain an “Import Permit” before their departure by submitting an e-mail request with subject “Request an Import Permit” to email: firstname.lastname@example.org along with the following documents:
1) A copy of shipper’s passport (the person who will ship/export pets from the US). Please make a note on this document stating that “This is the shipper.”
2) A copy of pickup person’s passport (the person who will pick-up the pets at the Suvarnnabhumi Airport). Please make a note on this document stating that “This is the pickup person.”
– Upon the pet’s arrival, this pickup person must contact the Animal Quarantine Station at Suvarnnabhumi Airport Tel. +66 2 134 0731 for further instructions. If the pickup person cannot pick-up the pets at the airport himself/herself, the letter of authorization appointing a representative will be needed.
3) Proof of vaccination
4) US address where pets will be shipped from (use a kennel’s address if buying from a kennel).
5) Thailand address where pets will be staying.
6) Flight itinerary of pets, including flight number and arrival time. It is strongly recommended that pet’s arrival time in Bangkok shall be during 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. local time Monday-Friday (except Thai holidays) to ensure that an official will be on duty.
7) The Permit issuance process will take at least 3 business days. If you do not receive any response within that time frame, you may call the Animal Quarantine Station at Suvarnnabhumi Airport (Cargo Terminal) to inquire about your Import Permit application status at +66 2 134 0731 (Attention: Ms. Nariya or Mr. Anusorn) during 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. local time Monday-Friday (except Thai holidays).
1. Pets must be at least 4 months old to be able to import into Thailand.
2. Pit bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier are prohibited for importation into Thailand.
3. As long as pets don’t show any sign of illness, they would not be quarantined.
***However, a quarantine officer has the discretionary authority to detain in a quarantine station any pets/animals seeking to pass through Thailand.***
4. More information about the Requirements for the Importation of Dogs and Cats into the Kingdom of Thailand. Please see below:
> Animal Quarantine Station at Suvarnnabhumi Airport’s Contact Information:
For those who travel with pets and seek to pass them through Thailand:
Please contact: Animal Quarantine Station (Port of Entry)
Tel+(662) 134-0636 Business Hours: 24 hrs daily
For those who wish to import/export pets to Thailand:
Please contact: Animal Quarantine Station (Cargo Terminal :Free Zone Area ,CE 1 Building )
Tel+(662) 134-7031 Business Hours 8:30am – 4:30pm
> Office of Agricultural Affairs (OAA) Royal Thai Embassy, Washington DC
1024 Wisconsin Ave., N.W. Suite 203
Washington, D.C. 20007 USA
Phone: (202) 338-1543, (202) 338-1545
Fax: (202) 338-1549