Thailand assumes ASEAN Chair in Washington; pledges to further strengthen ASEAN-U.S. Partnership
On May 15, 2015, Ambassador Pisan Manawapat assumed Chairmanship of the ASEAN Committee in Washington (ACW), during May-August 2015, after an official hand-over ceremony by Ambassador Jose L. Cuisia, Jr. at the Philippines Embassy.
After assuming his chairmanship, Ambassador Pisan led a group of ASEAN Ambassadors and Charge d’ Affaires to the luncheon hosted by Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter at the Pentagon on May 19, 2015. The focus of the discussion was regional security developments and upcoming Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore that Secretary Carter is scheduled to attend. Also presented were Mr. David Shear, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Asian and Pacific Security Affairs, Ms. Kelly Magsamen, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Asian Pacific and Security Affairs, and Dr. Amy Searight, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for South and Southeast Asia.
Highlights of upcoming activities during Thai Chairmanship are;
– ASEAN Family Day on May 31 , Lake Fairfax Park
– First ACW Ambassadors’ Meeting under Thailand’s chairmanship to be followed by luncheon hosted by Ambassador Pisan for ACW Ambassadors and senior representatives from Department of State and Department of Defense on June 2 at the Royal Thai Embassy
– ASEAN Ambassadors’ Tour organized by US-ASEAN Business Council (USABC) to the states which have economic potential for ASEAN investors during the last week of July
– ASEAN Day activities and reception hosted by Embassy of Malaysia on August 7 with participation from all ASEAN Embassies to celebrate the 48th anniversary of ASEAN.
– Joint call on, among others, Senator Bob Corker, Chairman of Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.