Human trafficking cases transferred to new court
THE SUNDAY NATION 11 October 2015
Trafficking cases involving Rohingya and other migrant victims have been transferred to the Criminal Court’s newly established Human Trafficking Case Division.
The move to transfer the cases, which centre on 72 suspects, won approval from Supreme Court president Direk Ingkaninanda.
Evidence in the cases is slated to be inspected by the Human Trafficking Case Division from November 10-13 while the first batch defendants, including former Army special adviser Lt-General Manas Khongpaen, will be moved to Bangkok Remand Prison, Attorney General’s Office spokesman Somnuek Siangkong said yesterday.
The lawsuit filed at Songkhla’s Na Thawee Provincial Court against the 72 suspects was moved to the new division because they involved a transnational criminal gang and many state officials, he said. They were moved because the trafficking issue was of great domestic and international attention while witnesses had been threatened and the Na Thawee court was too small. In all, there are 153 suspects – 91 of who are in custody.
For more information and updates about Thailand’s policies and actions against trafficking in persons and related issues, visit www.thaianti-humantraffickingaction.org