Industrial Estate agency promoting solar power to cut carbon

Thailand’s industrial estates are going green and clean. The government is partnering with a private firm to promote the use of renewable energy at every industrial park by installing solar panels at factories and helping them manage their energy use.

“The new [joint venture] firm will support the government’s policy to improve energy efficiency and use more renewable energy in industrial estates,” said Veeris Ammarapala, Governor of the Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand (IEAT).

The new company, Prime Industrial Energy, is the result of investment by the IEAT and Prime Road Power Plc., a local renewable energy firm. About 75 percent of the new company is owned by Prime Road Power while the remaining 25 percent is held by the IEAT.

Thailand has 62 industrial estates spread across 77 provinces. 12 are solely managed by the IEAT and the remaining 50 are jointly managed by the Authority and private developers. The largest and most popular cluster of industrial parks in in the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC), a three-province advanced industrial zone adjacent to the capital Bangkok and with an abundance of infratructure including airports and deep-sea ports.

The EEC serves to showcase the Kingdom’s emerging developmental future where industry and society are more green, circular, creative and driven by research and development and higher technologies.

The use of solar power in Thai industries will also assist the country in meeting its pledges and targets under the Paris Climate Accord and COP 26. The Kingdom is striving to reach carbon neutrality by 2050 and net-zero emissions by 2065.

Somprasong Panjalak, Chief Executive Officer of Prime Road Power, said that the company will be focusing on several businesses related to renewable energy, including consultancy services and solar panel installation to engineering designs and financial issues.

Photo courtesy of