Non-Immigrant Visa Category “ED”

Non Immigrant category “ED”

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to study or do internship in Thailand.

Documents Required:
1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
2. One original visa application form completely filled out (black and blue ink only) (Download)
3. Two passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders. Photos must be taken within 6 months.
4. A copy of flight confirmation/reservation , showing going from US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
5. A copy of recent bank statement  ($700 per person and $1,500 per family) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly) , In case of submitting family bank statement a proof of relationship (i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate) must be provided.
6. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa with a letter proof of employment ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**)/ letter proof of full-time student status
7. Original letter of acceptance from the concerned schools/ universities or institutes in Thailand

**if you would like to get a multiple entry visa, we require that schools/ universities have to provide those details in an invitation letter**
8. Original letter  from the schools/ universities or institutes in USA stating that applicants are visiting Thailand for education purposes
9. For minor under 20 years old, please provide following documents
Notarized copy of a birth certificate
Notarized copy of marriage certificate , In case of sole custody notarized copy of court order must be provided.
Notarized copy or original passports or ID of mother and father/ legal guardian
Original letter of notarized consent for the minor to travel abroad from mother and father/ legal guardian

***All supporting materials that are not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations and certified by an embassy only ***

10.For Nigerian nationalities and passport holders, Certificate of Clearance from NDLEA and authenticated by The Ministry of Foreign Affair of Nigeria and Royal Thai Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria


Processing time :
In person    5 business days
By mail       minimum 15 business days

***We do not offer expedited service***

Processing Fees:
single entry           80 USD
multiple entries     200 USD

Period of stay: not exceeding 90 days.

*** Warning of overstay *** (please click)

Validity of a visa:
single entry           3 months
multiple entries     1 year

***A visa becomes effective from the date of issuance. Do not apply for the visa too early. If you apply too early the visa may expire before your trip and you will have to re-apply. The fee is not refundable***

Submitting application:
1. In person

between 9am.-12pm. , no appointment needed
Consular Office
Royal Thai Embassy
2300 Kalorama Rd., N.W.
Washington,D.C 20008-1623
2. By mail

(except nationalities and passport holders of the following 13 countries: Nigeria, Central African Republic, Cameroon, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea, Ghana, Liberia, São Tomé and Príncipe, Sierra Leone, Somalia and Sudan. Applicants from the listed countries must apply in person only, and present original resident alien card or US visa)

application must include self-addressed return envelope only by these following mail service
“USPS (US Postal Service) Express Mail”  use only flat rate mailing envelope with $26.35 postage stamp (Metered stamps will not be accepted)
Mailing address:
Consular Office
Royal Thai Embassy
2300 Kalorama Rd., N.W.
Washington,D.C 20008-1623

***The Royal Thai Embassy do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss***

Extension of stay: Those who wish to stay longer or may wish to change their type of visa must file an application for permission at the Office of Immigration Bureau located on Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120, Tel (662) 287-3101 to 10 or at The extension of stay as well as the change of certain type of visa is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer.

Please note: Consular officers reserve the right to request additional documents as deemed necessary and also reserve the right to reject any application without having to provide reason.
Royal Thai Embassy
2300 Kalorama Rd., NW
Washington, DC 20008
Tel. (202) 640-5658 / (202) 640-1439
Fax. (202) 459-9536